The Korea Institute will award a few undergraduate summer language study grants (2 full tuition waivers) for Harvard undergraduates in any concentration to attend the co-ed Ewha International Summer College-(June 20-July 18, 2017) to learn Korean language. You may opt to focus only on Korean language or learn Korean language and take content courses. These full tuition waivers will cover the Ewha application fee, as well as, the tuition fee for the Ewha International Summer College. The Korea Institute will provide round trip airfare (economy class, non-refundable, up to $1800). Students are still responsible for housing (dorm) costs, meals and general living expenses.
Preference is given to those who will be returning to campus in the Fall.
Students may apply to OCS (Office of Career Services) for an OCS Summer Study Abroad Grant to possibly cover some of the above costs not covered by this grant. Best to consult with the OCS Summer Funding staff before applying.
[Ewha may also offer a 50% tuition discount for the Ewha Summer Special Program for students who participate in both the International Summer College (June 20-July 18, 2017) and the Ewha Summer Special Program (Aug 8-22, 2017) as a set.]
Apply directly to the Korea Institute, not via the Ewha on-line application form.
1) Apply using CARAT, Harvard’s web-based centralized application tool, at: https://apps2.registrar.fas.harvard.edu/carat/ From the CARAT home page, after logging in, click on “Funding Sources and Supplements,” and scroll down to “Korea Institute Undergraduate Summer Language Study Grants at Ewha” to see the list of required documents that you must prepare for your application.
2) Two faculty recommendations, including one from a language instructor. When requesting the language instructor recommendation, provide the instructor with the PDF evaluation form found attached below. Your faculty recommender may upload their recommendations directly into CARAT or the recommendation may emailed directly to the Coordinator <firstname.lastname@example.org> by the deadline, denoting which specific grant you are applying for.
3) Proposal of 750 words or less
4) Current 1-page resume
5) Current unofficial transcript from my.harvard
In order to upload your transcript as a PDF, please go to my.harvard to print a copy of your transcript, scan it as a PDF, and upload.
Upload your completed application (CARAT application/budget sheet, resume, proposal and transcript) on CARAT https://apps2.registrar.fas.harvard.edu/carat/ by Monday, February 6, 2017 by 5pm EST. Recommendation letters should be able to be uploaded and submitted directly into CARAT by faculty recommenders. If not, letters of recommendation may be emailed directly in PDF format to Catherine Glover by the deadline 2/6/17. Your rec letters must denote which specific grant you are applying to. One of the two letters should be from a language instructor utilizing the Korea Institute Summer Language Grants Instructor Reference found attached below. The other letter of recommendation may be from your faculty advisor, a faculty member who knows you well, or your House Tutor.
Application instructions specific to the KI Undergraduate Summer Language Study Grants at Ewha
• In your 750-word proposal indicate why you would like to attend the Ewha International Summer College- June 20-July 18, 2017. Include the program dates. Also, specifically address your academic and personal goals and what you expect to gain from your experience in Korea. It should explain your degree of preparation for studying Korean in Korea and how such an opportunity will fit into your overall course of study at Harvard.
• Application must be supported by 2 letters of recommendation, including one from a language instructor. The language instructor should use the “Language Instructor Reference” sheet attached below.
• You must inform the Korea Institute if you receive any other awards for this proposal after you submit this application.
• You must be in good academic standing to apply.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, February 6, 2017 by 5pm EST
• Announcement of KI awards will be made directly to the student via email by the first week of April 2017.
For more information, please contact:
Catherine Glover, email@example.com
Harvard College policy may prevent the sponsorship of undergraduate activities taking place in countries with certain U.S. Department of State travel warnings. Please consult the Harvard College Policy on Undergraduate Travel Abroad for more information.
***NOTE: If you are experiencing CARAT technical difficulties (e.g., receive error messages, find yourself unable to submit an application despite having passed all validation checks), please email HUIT Support at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-495-7777 well before the deadline.***
|ki_language_evaluation_form_2016-17_FILLABLE PDF.pdf||159 KB|
|ki_language_instructor_form_2016-_2017 PDF.pdf||222 KB|