***Application Deadline: January 10, 2021 5:00pm EST
***Recommendation Letters Deadline: January 24, 2021 5:00pm EST
Department/Areas: Social Sciences; Korea-US relations, international relations, and/or political economy
With generous support from the SBS Foundation Research Fund, the Korea Institute at Harvard University invites applications for a Korean Studies postdoctoral fellowship in the social sciences. Applicants whose research focuses on Korea-US relations, international relations, and/or political economy are especially encouraged to apply.
The fellowship covers a 12-month period between August 1, 2021 to July 31, 2022 with the possibility for an additional year extension. The fellowship provides a stipend of $67,000 (with the understanding that the fellow will purchase her/his own health insurance). The recipient will have the option to purchase health insurance from Harvard’s affiliate insurance program (http://hushp.harvard.edu/rates-plan-dates#Affiliate) or a carrier of their choosing. Additionally, up to $3,000 will be made available for research/travel or for a workshop. The postdoctoral fellow will ordinarily be provided shared office space and access to the libraries and resources of Harvard University.
Residence in the Cambridge/Boston area during the fellowship period is ordinarily required. Fellows are expected to participate actively in Korea Institute programs while also encouraged to engage in the academic life of the larger Harvard community. The fellow will have the opportunity to present their research through one of Korea Institute’s public talk forums. The fellow may also have an opportunity to teach one undergraduate course and is encouraged to organize scholarly events around the theme of the fellowship.
Eligibility and Application Submission
Applicants must have received their Ph.D. degree within five years of the postdoctoral appointment year (i.e. 2016 or later). The applicant who is offered the fellowship must have a registrar certified Ph.D. degree by June 30, 2021. All applicants should possess a high level of proficiency in Korean.
The postdoctoral fellowship online application is available on the Harvard University ARIeS (Academic Recruiting Information eSystem):
ARIeS link: http://academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/9831
The Korea Institute acknowledges the generous support of the SBS Foundation Research Fund that makes possible the SBS Korean Studies Postdoctoral Fellowship in the Social Sciences and other opportunities to advance new scholarly horizons in Korean Studies via research and innovative teaching on original topics.
Harvard is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law. Applications from women and minority candidates are strongly encouraged.
The application has five components:
I. Personal Information (candidate information, contact information, educational background, will you now or in the future require sponsorship for visa (scholar) status?)
II. References Two reference letters are required. On your online application, two reference entries must be created. Once your application is submitted by the applicant deadline January 10, 2021, ARIeS will automatically generate reference solicitation emails to your recommenders. Reference letters must be submitted by the recommender deadline January 24, 2021. Your application will not be considered complete until all materials are received.
III. Supplemental Questions
- Please state your thesis title.
- Please state a short summary of your research plans during fellowship period (c. 40 words).
- Please provide a brief statement of teaching Interests
- Do you have a continuing teaching position? If yes, where? If teaching, have you obtained approval from your dept. to accept a postdoctoral position (if received) for 2021-2022? If no, please state your current affiliation?
- Have you previously applied for a Harvard postdoctoral fellowship? If yes, when and which specific one?
- Are you currently applying for other postdoctoral fellowships? If so, which/where?
- Have you ever had a Harvard ID previously? If yes, please provide the HUID number.
IV. University-wide Optional Questions
V. Required Documents
Please upload each of the following required documents to your application.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum vitae (please include *citizenship*, current and permanent addresses, telephone number/s, email address(es); academic degrees with dates of conferral, discipline and institution, list of publications; current employer)
- Dissertation abstract
- Table of contents with chapter outlines (up to 3 pages)
- Plan of research (up to 2 pages)
- Submit a writing sample—include either a dissertation chapter in English (less than 40 pages, double-spaced) OR a journal article in English (published within the last two years).
- One course proposal related to the general description of the postdoctoral fellowship (for undergraduate students).
- Official transcript of grades. Please scan and upload your official electronic transcript as part of your complete application. If your Ph.D. comes from a non-US university that does not issue an official transcript of grades, please submit alternative documentation of your enrollment and progress in the degree program, as well as a written statement that you are unable to provide an official transcript of grades.
- Two reference letters are required. See Section II. On your online application, two reference entries must be created. Once your application is submitted by the applicant deadline January 10, 2021 5:00pm EST, ARIeS will automatically generate reference solicitation emails to your recommenders. Reference letters must be submitted by the recommender deadline January 24, 2021, 5:00pm EST. Your application will not be considered complete until all materials are received.
The SBS Korean Studies Postdoctoral Fellowship online application is available on the Harvard University ARIeS (Academic Recruiting Information eSystem):
ARIeS link: http://academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/9831
***Application Deadline: January 10, 2021 (Sun) 5:00pm EST
***Recommendation Letters Deadline: January 24, 2021 (Sun) 5:00pm EST
Please direct inquiries to: firstname.lastname@example.org