Korea Institute Scholarship to attend the Seoul National University-International Summer Institute - SNU ISI (Undergraduate)
Date of Deadline: Monday, Feb. 6, 2017 by 5pm EST
Seoul National University (SNU) is one of Korea’s foremost universities. For more information on the SNU International Summer Institute (ISI), please see: http://isi.snu.ac.kr/isi/main/main.jsp
In partnership with SNU ISI, the Korea Institute will award scholarships (full tuition waivers, dorm and airfare) for two Harvard undergraduates in any concentration to attend the SNU ISI Summer Session 2017. These scholarships will cover tuition fees which will be waived by SNU to the students selected under this program. The Korea Institute will provide payment for the dormitory fees to the dorm and round trip airfare (economy class, non-refundable, up to $1800). Students are still responsible for meals and general living expenses.
*This scholarship is generously sponsored by an alumna of Harvard College at SNU. This opportunity is only for Harvard undergraduates. Preference will be given to those returning to Harvard in the Fall.*
Students may apply to OCS (Office of Career Services) for an OCS Summer Study Abroad Grant to possibly cover some of the above costs not covered by this grant. Best to consult with the OCS Summer Funding staff before applying to OCS Summer Funding.
Apply directly to the Korea Institute, not via the SNU ISI on-line application form.
1) Apply using CARAT, Harvard’s web-based centralized application tool, at: https://apps2.registrar.fas.harvard.edu/carat/ From the CARAT home page, after logging in, click on “Funding Sources and Supplements,” and scroll down to “Korea Institute Undergraduate Scholarship to SNU ISI” to see the list of required documents that you must prepare for your application.
2) Two faculty recommendations. Your faculty recommender or proxy may upload their recommendations directly into CARAT or the recommendation may be emailed directly to the Coordinator Catherine Glover by the deadline, denoting which specific grant you are applying for.
3) Proposal of 750 words or less
4) Current 1-page resume
5) Current unofficial transcript from my.harvard
In order to upload your transcript as a PDF, please go to my.harvard to print a copy of your transcript, scan it as a PDF, and upload.
Upload your completed application (CARAT application/budget sheet, resume, proposal and transcript) on CARAT https://apps2.registrar.fas.harvard.edu/carat/ by Monday, Feb. 6, 2017 by 5pm EST
6) Recommendation letters may be uploaded and submitted directly into CARAT by faculty recommenders or proxies. If not, letters of recommendation may be emailed directly in PDF format to <firstname.lastname@example.org> by the deadline 2/6/17. Your rec letters must denote which specific grant you are applying to. One of the two letters should be from your faculty advisor, a faculty member who knows you well, or your House Tutor.
7) You must be in good academic standing to apply
Application instructions specific to the Korea Institute Undergraduate Scholarship to SNU ISI:
· In your 750-word proposal indicate why you would like to attend the SNU International Summer Institute. Include the program dates. Also, specifically address your academic and personal goals and what you expect to gain from your experience in Korea. It should explain your degree of preparation for studying in Korea and how such an opportunity will fit into your overall course of study at Harvard.
· Application must be supported by 2 letters of recommendation, including one from your faculty advisor, a faculty member who knows you well, or your House Tutor.
· You must inform the Korea Institute if you receive any other awards for this proposal after you submit this application.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Monday, February 6, 2017 by 5pm EST
• Announcement of KI awards will be made directly to the student via email by the first week of April 2017.
For more information, please contact:
Catherine Glover, email@example.com
Harvard College policy may prevent the sponsorship of undergraduate activities taking place in countries with certain U.S. Department of State travel warnings. Please consult the Harvard College Policy on Undergraduate Travel Abroad for more information.
NOTE: If you are experiencing technical difficulties in CARAT (e.g., receive error messages, find yourself unable to submit an application despite having passed all validation checks), please email HUIT Support at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 617-495-7777 well before the deadline.